Saturday, April 21, 2007


Oh man.

Thursday night we went to see Muse, who were touring with My Chemical Romance. I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew they were going to be fantastic because I'd seen them before, but this time around, they weren't the headliners and so they only got about 45 minutes of stage time. They definitely made good use of it. Shark texted us from the floor - "Holy Fuck!" And he was not embellishing. Opening with 'Take A Bow', they didn't do a lot of stage banter, just a lot of rocking, which I appreciate so when you've only got 45 minutes of listening time. They played a few older tracks like 'Hysteria' and 'Stockholm Syndrome', but sadly, the smaller stage setup didn't really allow for the band to go into a few of their more piano driven songs. I wanted to hear songs like 'Bliss' or 'New Born', but it just wasn't in the cards. We were treated to a lot of guitar noodling and riffing between songs and during one song they floated large confetti-filled balloons over the crowd which randomly popped, spitting out their insides! The set ended with me wanting more. A LOT more.

Even though they're touring with My Chem, I really suggest that you see Muse if they stop where you live. They're fantastic. If they don't convert you to fandom, I'll eat my hat.

Joel and I are not My Chem fans, but we stuck around for the first part of My Chem's set. They did the show in two separate pieces - the first was the entirety of 'The Black Parade' and after a short intermission and a change of clothes, the second was a collection of older songs. They opened 'The Black Parade' with a dark stage. One spotlight shone down on a gurney [finally looked up the spelling of that one] which Gerard jumped out of after singing a few lines.

I think if I were a My Chem fan, I probably would have pooped my pants at this show. It was very much larger than life - fireballs shooting out of the stage, cannons shooting confetti out over the crowd, strobe-lights, columns of sparks shooting down from the ceiling - it was very very visual an effect filled. However, despite all of this spectacle, couldn't help but notice that Gerard Way is totally entering his Fat Elvis phase. The last time I saw him in person, he was wandering around backstage at NBT just a few months ago in December. I know that Gerard doesn't drink, so he must be eating like shit now that they're touring, because I was watching him running around in his marching band outfit thinking, "I thought black was supposed to be slimming." I know it's the pot calling the kettle black here, but I was just surprised. I mean, you're in those suits, which have to be very hot while fireballs are shooting out of the stage giving off enough heat that I could feel it from where I was sitting [fairly close to the stage, but not close enough you'd think you'd feel that heat] and underneath those lights - you'd think that would be an excellent workout by anyone's standards. *shrugs*

We left at the beginning of the the second part of their show. I was gonna stay and hang out as we were sitting with a bunch of people from the station, but I was tired and a little drunk, so I left with Joel. He had to leave early to head off for his overnight shift. He drove me home and picked up some Mountain Dew.

After I got home, I called my sister, who was very excited that she and her man got their loan approved for the place they wanted to buy! They are now going to be homeowners! Very cool! Congrats again to Jayme. Hooray!

I woke up the next morning feeling a little gravelly in the throat and in posession of a stuffy nose. At first I just thought I had strained my voice at the show, but as the day wore on, it became painfully obvious that I have a cold. I'm not amused. I made it about 6 or 7 months without a cold and now I have two in less than two months. Garbage! So far, I don't feel tooooo bad, just stuffy and achy, I have a bit of a cough and my ears keep popping. My muscles feel all tight and my back is killing me.

And I don't have a day off again til next weekend! I'm off to look after Gavin and Addie tonight, so I'm taking it really easy today.


Blogger Phoebe said...


As far as Gavin and Addy lastnight, I hope they went to bed early for you. Danielle and I watched them @ work during the day while Shark was doing the greenroom and we sprinted back and forth down the hallways for a good solid hour or 2. I think they were ready to pass out by the time their daddy was done working.

1:36 PM  
Blogger rebelbarbie said...

Turns out there were no little Sharkeys for Kristy yesterday... Tonya and Shark changed their plans.

It was kind of a good thing because I seem to have developed some kinda cold. I had fever last night and one again today. :(

Saw the pic you posted of Addie though. SO cute!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Rita said...

Dammit - I should have asked you guys to pick me up a shirt and then paid you back (frown). My shirt from the show two years ago went missing and when I find who took it, I'm gonna strangle them.
I'm so glad you went.....and enjoyed it of course.
I think it's the SPTIMES FORUM. Remember?? I got sick (for 2 1/2 months) after we went and saw RHCP?? I'm not saying you're going to be sick for that long,but isn't it 'interesting' that you're sick now and I got sick after shows there?
I find it...interesting...

6:24 PM  
Blogger rebelbarbie said...

There must be something in the air there. Damn Forum. If I get pneumonia, I'm suing.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home