Sunday, April 22, 2007

Let me get up on the soapbox a minute...

Today and tomorrow mark the seventh anniversary of my car accident. See that picture? That was me seven years ago tomorrow.
That's just the damage you can see.
I'm not going to get into any of the details, place any blame, or spend my time lamenting the specific pains this anniversary reminds me of.
I just want to take this moment to ask each and every one of you guys not to let this happen to you.
Do not get into a car with someone who has been drinking. Do not let your friends get into a car with someone who has been drinking. Don't get behind the wheel if you've been drinking or let someone you love do the same.
I can't stress this enough. Even if you survive an accident, the pain and damage stay with you for a very long time. I may appear to be fully healed but the effects of this accident are still with me seven years later.
You might not think it's a big deal to have a few drinks and then drive home, but it is. Please, don't let yourself have to experience this firsthand. Or even worse, be responsible for someone else's nightmare. It's not worth it. Call a cab, have a designated driver or even call a friend or relative to come and get you. They might be mad, but I can guarantee they'll understand. They'll appreciate that they're not coming to see you in a hospital like this - or in a morgue.
Okay, I'm done preaching. I just hope you listened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home